Steven W. Ellingson
Office: 443 Durham Hall
Phone: +1 (540) 231-2978
Fax: +1 (540) 231-2968
Mail / Shipping:
432 Durham Hall (0350)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Student Research Opportunities:
Click here for details
I am interested in antennas & propagation, applied signal processing, and instrumentation. My work on instrumentation includes antennas, RF electronics, digital signal processing, and software for systems with unusual or extreme requirements. I work on mobile radio communications, navigation, and geolocation systems throughout the radio spectrum. I am active in radio astronomy, most recently in the development of meter- and cm-wavelength observing systems and their application in cosmology, pulsars, and searches for astrophysical transients.
I occasionally work on passive microwave remote sensing for geophysical applications. I advise students in the "Electromagnetics" and "Communications" areas of our department.
My Past -
- Some Current Projects:
Cognitive Radio Approaches to Optimize Army Radar and Communication Systems, ARL.
New Transient Detection and Signal Characterization Algorithms for Radio Astronomy, NSF; with WVU & NRAO.
Improved Measurement of Astrophysical Flux Calibration Sources at Long Wavelengths.
Indoor Propagation Modification, ICTAS.
- Synergistic Study of Fast Radio Bursts and Pulsar Giant Pulse Emission, NSF; with West Virginia U. & NRAO.
- Some Past Projects:
- Hyper-Wideband Radio Communications, DARPA.
- VLA Low-band (50-470 MHz) Commensal Feed System, with NRAO. VT Media story
Long Wavelength Array (LWA), NSF; with UNM.
Large-aperture Experiment to Detect the Dark Age (LEDA), NSF; with Harvard, UC Berkeley & UNM.
Antenna Systems for Multiband Mobile & Portable Radio, U.S. Dept. of Justice.
- Multiband/Multimode Radio for Public Safety, U.S. Dept. of Justice.
- RFID on Aircraft, Aerospace Vehicle Systems Insititue.
- Matrix Channel Measurement System (MCMS), NSF, w/Aeroflex Corp..
- Argus (L-band omnidirectional radio telescope array), SETI Institute.
- Demonstration of Interference-Suppressing Radiometry at C-Band, NPOESS, w/Ohio State. Also: More on WindSat
- Digital Receiver with Interference Suppression for Microwave Radiometry, NASA, w/Ohio State. Also: LISA
- ECE 6116: Reflector & Aperture Antennas
- ECE 5654: Digital Communications II
- ECE 4984: RF Spectrum Sensing (One-time special topics/senior design course)
- ECE 4634: Digital Communications I
- ECE 4605: Radio Engineering I
- ECE 4114: Antennas
- ECE 3106: Electromagnetic Fields II
- ECE 3105: Electromagnetic Fields I
- ECE 2704: Signals & Systems
- ECE 2004: Electric Circuit Analysis
- Antennas in Systems: Analysis, Integration, and Antenna-Transceiver Co-Design (4-hour short course), Presented at Wireless@VT 2013 Wireless Summer School.
- Design Techniques for Multiband/Multimode Radio (4-hour short course), Presented at Wireless@VT 2008 Wireless Summer School.
- Active Antennas (4-hour short course), Presented at Wireless@VT 2007 Wireless Summer School.
- FPGA-Based Signal Processing (4-hour short course, w/C. Patterson), Presented at Wireless@VT 2007 Wireless Summer School.
- Introduction to AOA Estimation and Detection using Arrays (12-hour short course), Prepared for an industry sponsor, 2003.
- RFI Mitigation (12-hour short course), Presented at the University of California at Berkeley, January 24-26, 2000.
- Topics in Modern Wireless Systems Design (8-hour short course), Presented at National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, April 7-8, 1999.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, The Ohio State University
M.S., Electrical Engineering, The Ohio State University
B.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering, Clarkson University
||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University|
||Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University|
||The Ohio State University, ElectroScience Laboratory|
|Senior Systems Engineer
||Engineering Research Associates, which was subsumed into E-Systems, then Raytheon|
||Booz-Allen & Hamilton|
||U.S. Army, active duty (various positions in a tactical signal battalion)|
Sabbatical, National Radio Astronomy Observatory, 2013
Visiting Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University, 2003-2004
Visiting Researcher, Astron (The Netherlands), 1999
A complete list is available here. Below are some highlights.
- R.H. Tillman, S.W. Ellingson, and J. Brendler, "Practical Limits in the Sensitivity-Linearity Trade off for Radio Telescope Front Ends in the HF and VHF-low Bands" (2016), J. Astronomical Instrumentation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 1650004, 15 pp. open access.
- S.W. Ellingson, G.B. Taylor, J. Craig, J. Hartman, J. Dowell, C.N. Wolfe, plus 7 others, "The LWA1 Radio Telescope", IEEE Trans. Ant. & Prop., Vol. 61, No. 5, May 2013, pp. 2540-9. Preprint Version.
- S.M.S. Hasan & S.W. Ellingson, "Integration of Simple Antennas to Multiband Receivers using a Novel Multiplexer Design Methodology", IEEE Trans. Ant. & Prop., Vol. 60, No. 3, March 2012, pp. 1550-6. Preprint Version.
- S.W. Ellingson, "Sensitivity of Antenna Arrays for Long-Wavelength Radio Astronomy", IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, June 2011, pp. 1855-1863. Preprint Version.
- K.W. Hurst and S.W. Ellingson, "Path Loss from a Transmitter Inside an Aircraft Cabin to an Exterior Fuselage-Mounted Antenna", IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 3, August 2008, pp. 504-512.
- S.W. Ellingson and M. Harun, "Lateral Position Dependence of MIMO Capacity in a Hallway at 2.4 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, February 2008, pp. 515-523.
- S.W. Ellingson, G.A. Hampson, and R.K. Childers, "Argus: An L-Band All-Sky Astronomical Surveillance System", IEEE Trans. Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, February 2008, pp. 294-302.
- S.W. Ellingson and J.T. Johnson, "A Polarimetric Survey of Radio Frequency Interference in C- and X-Bands in the Continental United States using WindSat Radiometry", IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 3, March 2006, pp. 540-8.
- S.W. Ellingson and G.A. Hampson, "Mitigation of Radar Interference in L-Band Radio Astronomy", Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 147(1):167-176 (July 2003).
- S.W. Ellingson, J. Bunton, and J.F. Bell, "Removal of the GLONASS C/A Signal from OH Spectral Line Observations Using a Parametric Modelling Technique", Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, Vol. 135, No. 1, pp. 87-93 (July 2001).